Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sideways Cable Hat


So the other day I was running errands, doing my Michigan thing and stocking up on groceries before the big snow storm hit (was it snowpacolypse number 2 or 3?). And I saw this awesome hat with two cables running sideways across it. It was also kind of pointy on top like an elf hat, which I loved. I didn't want to be a creep and ask where the girl had gotten it, so I decided to just write up a pattern myself. Because what's the point of being able to knit if you aren't going to make yourself awesome things?

I used a nice chunky yarn so this knits up really fast. Plus it's knit flat and then seamed which is great for those of us who don't enjoy circular needles or double-points (not me, I'm a masochist). I decided to knit up two, because now I have one for me and one for a friend! I added options for sizing, but this is really more of a guide.


Sideways Cable Hat

Materials: 
  • bulky weight yarn 100-150 yds depending on your head size
  • size US 11 knitting needles
  • cable needle or stitch holder or whatever you like to use to cable
  • blunt eye needle

Sizes XS (S, M, L, XL)

CO 15 stitches (all sizes)


row 1 and 3: sl1, p1, k4, p3, k4, p2
row 2 and 4: sl1, k1, p4, k3, p4, k2
row 5: sl1, p1, move 2 stitches to cable needle and hold back, k2, knit the cable needle stitches, p3, move 2 stitches to cable needle and hold back, knit the cable needle stitches, wrap and turn
row 6: p4, k3, p4, k2

repeat rows 1-6 until the piece can fit around your head

Pick up the chains along the long side of the piece, making sure you have an even number. Knit in 2x2 rib (or 1x1 rib if you prefer) for a few rows (I did three) then bind off in a very stretchy bind off. I used the Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind off for the first time, and it worked wonderfully. Instructions here at the very bottom.

Pick up the chains along the short side, aiming for 24 (28, 32, 36, 40). This is where you'll find out which size hat you'll end up with, as you pick up chains and then pick up one or two extra stitches (if necessary) to meet the correct number for sizing. The below pattern may be confusing. Basically all sizes knit rows 1, 2, and 3, and then XL starts at row 4, L skips to row 6, M skips to row 8, S skips to row 10, and XS skips to row 12. Using this method, you can really make sure the hat fits you best. Sorry if this is super confusing, but it seems the best way to me for explain/write the pattern for all size heads.

row 1 (right side): purl
row 2: knit
row 3: purl
row 4 (XL only): *k10, k2tog*
row 5 (XL only): purl
row 6 (XL, L only): *k9, k2tog*
row 7 (XL, L only): purl
row 8 (XL, L, M only): *k8, k2tog*
row 9 (XL, L, M only): purl
row 10 (XL, L, M, S only): *k7, k2tog*
row 11 (XL, L, M, S only): purl
row 12: *k6, k2tog*
row 13: purl
row 14: *k5, k2tog*
row 15: purl
row 16: *k4, k2tog*
row 17: purl
row 18: *k3, k2tog*
row 19: purl
row 20: *k2tog*


bind off, sew up the back seam, weave in all ends, and add a pom-pom on top with your leftover yarn.

Here are a few extra pictures of the hat:


Orange was knit in wool-ease chunky and the green and yellow was with yarn gifted to me sans tags, so sadly I do not know where to get more. It looks gorgeous all knit up though. 


Here's a close up of the final product

Follow me on instagram: patriciajeanne
If you're into instragram post a picture of your projects with #haveyoumetmycats I love to see other people's work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment